Sugar Biscuit Recipe
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened (approximately 220 grams)
- 1 cup of icing sugar (also known as powdered sugar/ confectioner's sugar)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (or almond extract)
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour, sifted
- [Optional] food colouring
1. Whisk softened butter and icing sugar until mixture is light and fluffy
2. Add vanilla extract and egg into the mixture and beat to combine
3. Add flour and knead the mixture until consistency of a soft dough is achieved
4. Chill the dough in refrigerator for approximately 1 hour
5. Roll the chilled dough onto a baking sheet to 5mm thick.
- If the dough becomes too hard after chilling, knead it lightly to soften it.
- If the dough becomes too soft for cutting, place the tray of rolled dough back to the refrigerator for about 10 minutes before cutting it again. This step may need to be repeated in a warmer environment.
6. Use your favorite cutters to cut out the biscuit shapes you desire. (Essential tips: coat the cutters in flour before each cut to make the release of dough from cutters easy)
7. Remove the excess dough remnants from the baking sheet (instead of transferring cut dough onto another sheet). This method avoids the handling of dough and hence prevents shape distortions during transfers.
8. Preheat oven to 170 degree Celsius (CAUTION: HOT!), and bake the dough for 10-15 minutes.
9. Once the baked biscuits are cooled, they are ready to serve. Party!!!