Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 250g Unsalted butter (9oz)
- 200g Granulated Sugar (7oz)
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
- 450g Plain Flour (1lb)
For best results, mix ingredients at room temperature. Prep and baking time: 20 minutes. Chill time: 1.5 hours.
- Mix softened butter and sugar until mixture is smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract into the mixture and beat to combine.
- Add half of the flour and mix well. Then add the rest of the flour, mix and knead until you have a soft dough mixture.
- Split the dough equally in two and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Once chilled, roll out your dough onto baking paper to 5mm thickness and cut out your designs. Use a small amount of flour to dust over the dough surface, cutter and rolling pin. For best results further chill for half an hour before baking.
- Bake at 170C for 10 minutes. Leave to chill before decorating and serving.
Extra notes on this recipe
- You can switch the vanilla extract for almond for a different flavour
- For citrus fruit cookies you can add orange, lemon or lime (the zest of 2 and juice of 1) at step 2.
Essential tips for your Bakerlogy Cookie Cutters
- Coat your cutter in flour for extra assistance when cutting your dough. If your dough is getting stuck in the cutter, you may need to chill it in the fridge or roll it out thinner. Our cutters are designed for dough that is 5mm thick.
- If your dough becomes too dry and cracks when rolling out, you can add a splash of milk or water.
- Avoid using raising agents in your mixtures and stick to plain flour over self-raising flour.
- To avoid misshapen cookies, roll out your dough straight onto ready prepared baking paper and pull the excess dough away from the cut shapes.
- To clean your Bakerlogy cookie cutters, you can soak them in warm soapy water, and use a brush to remove dough remnants. Our cutters are also dishwasher safe.